Smart Electric Power Grid
Global electrical energy production reached approximately 29,165 terawatt-hours in 2022,
doubling what was produced in 2000, with a growing emphasis on renewable sources. Proven
Smart AIOT technologies contribute to sustainable energy practices by optimizing grid
operations, enabling real-time monitoring, demand response systems, predictive analytics, and
enhancing the efficiency of substations, thus playing a crucial role in building a resilient and eco-
friendly energy infrastructure.
How It Works
Smart Grids are electricity networks that involve the same transmission lines, transformers, and substations as a traditional power grid. What sets them apart is that Smart Grids combine cutting-edge technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the Internet of Things (IoT) to improve the efficiency, reliability, and sustainability of power distribution and management digital technologies. IoT sensors and AI software better match the supply and demand of electricity in real time while minimizing costs and maintaining the stability and reliability of the grid. The IoT devices can communicate with each other and with the end consumer to detect anomalies, predict faults, and optimize grid performance.
Our Smart Grid Utility overlay will enhance current energy management systems to provide a reliable solution while minimizing the environmental impact. AIoT-driven Smart Grid technologies help optimize and maintain traditional Grids.
What technology do we use in our UtilityKinect Smart Grid Solutions?
Our Smart Grid AIoT solutions include advanced microprocessor meters (Smart Meter) and meter reading equipment, wide-area monitoring systems, (typically based on online readings by Distributed temperature sensing combined with Real time thermal rating (RTTR) systems), electromagnetic signature measurement/analysis, time-of-use, leak detection, power supply, motion sensors, and remote cameras as well as data transmission network infrastructure, SIM cards and Data Plans to name a few. These solutions when combined provide insights into Grid performance as well as its component parts, including Substations and can even help to make decisions and act based upon multiple operational scenarios.
Utilities and suppliers can also use Smart Grids to analyze the complex relationship between pricing, availability, efficiency, and supply to better optimize all four – faster. Our AIoT tools can help Smart Grids monitor key components, alert stakeholders, and identify solutions to problems.
With the powerful data analytics built into our UtilityKinect AI software platform, information related to the power grid component operations can help contribute to sustainable energy and environmental practices by reducing greenhouse gas emissions, pollutants, water use thanks to a reduced peak load of energy consumption, integration of renewable energy sources, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles into the grid.
What is Substation Monitoring?
UtilityKinect, our substation automation system is a collection of IoT hardware and AI software components that are used to monitor and control the electrical system, both locally and remotely. Monitoring and controlling each substation using our UtilityKinect AIoT solution relies on various sensors to determine specific electrical limits and on-site operational conditions. These sensors are customer selected, configured, and installed based on the specific requirements of each Smart Grid. The sensors can power communication and control equipment, which is critical in smart digital substation operations.
What Are The Benefits:
Our UtilityKinect hardware and software solutions can help to enhance energy efficiency, reduces operational costs, and minimizes environmental impact. It provides a more reliable and resilient power distribution system while enabling consumers to actively participate in energy management and sustainability efforts. These technologies are essential for creating a sustainable and modern electrical power grid for the future.
Substations play a crucial role in the power grid by transforming and distributing electricity. A Smart Electrical Substation leverages AIoT to enhance the overall reliability and efficiency, monitoring, control, grid stability and management of power distribution within a substation, reduces maintenance costs, strengthens security, all while enabling grid operators to make informed decisions based on real-time data and analytics.
These technologies are crucial for maintaining a resilient and efficient electrical grid. Our UtilityKinect Substations solutions include:
How can we help your utility operations:
- Our IoT devices allow for real-time communication with Grid operations centres and consumers to adjust their power consumption during peak demand periods.
- AI algorithms enable utilities to create tailored demand response programs for businesses and homes.
- UtilityKinect’s AI-driven predictive maintenance systems continuously monitor the condition of grid equipment, such as transformers, substations, safety systems and operational assets and equipment.
- Predictive maintenance prevents unexpected failures, reduces downtime, and extends the lifespan of infrastructure.
- With increased connectivity, grid cybersecurity is paramount. UtilityKinect’s AI and IoT systems protect against cyber threats, ensuring the grid's resilience and security.
- UtilityKinect’s AI analyzes energy storage data to determine when to charge and discharge batteries, maximizing their lifespan and efficiency.
- Helps store excess renewable energy for use during peak periods.
- IoT sensors and AI can quickly identify grid disruptions and reroute power to minimize the impact of outages.
- Advanced Self-healing capabilities can be built to automatically reconfigure the grid to restore service when faults occur.
- Optional AI-powered platforms enable peer-to-peer energy trading, allowing consumers to buy and sell excess energy to one another.
- Promotes energy independence and supports local renewable energy production.
- UtilityKinect’s AI-driven analytics provide actionable insights, offering grid operators a clear view of system performance and potential issues.
- Data visualization tools make it easier to understand and act on the information.
- UtilityKinect’s AI algorithms assess the environmental impact of electricity generation and consumption, helping utilities and consumers make eco-friendly choices.
- UtilityKinect’s data can be used by Utilities for IoT apps to engage customers, offering insights into their energy usage, enabling them to set energy-saving goals, and providing real-time billing information.
Every Electricity Utility Grid Is Unique
We understand that every electricity utility grid is unique, and we’re here to work with you to create a customized solution that meets your specific needs. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help you take your electrical utility operations to the next level.